Alpha King Challenge
About Alpha King
Since 1999, the Alpha King Challenge has crowned the most well-balanced and drinkable beers with 60 IBUs or more — the top IPAs and DIPAs on the market. Founded by Yakima Chief Hops and 3 Floyds Brewing, the competition is named for 3 Floyds’ flagship Alpha King American Pale Ale. Past winners include some of the biggest names in craft beer, including several of the best beers in America, according to a Zymurgy magazine survey. The Alpha King Challenge is limited to commercial brewers and is judged by a team of brewers, industry experts and veteran beer writers each year during Great American Beer Festival.
The Alpha King Challenge is limited to 150 entries and is judged by a team of brewers, industry experts and veteran beer writers each year during Great American Beer Festival.
THANKS TO PARTICIPATING BREWERS.
SEE YOU NEXT YEAR, OCTOBER 4, 2019.
ALPHA KING 2018 – TOP 18
- Toppling Goliath, Pompeii IPA
- Toppling Goliath, Fire Skulls & Money IPA
- Denver Beer Co., The Hulk DIPA
- Great Notion Brewing, Ripe Hazy IPA
- Great Notion Brewing, Juice Box Hazy DIPA
- Pinthouse Pizza, Fully Adrift DIPA * First Place
- Pinthouse Pizza, I Know It’s Over DIPA
- Mumford Brewing, People Mover West Coast DIPA
- Uber Brew, Brut Noir Imperial Black Brut IPA
- Uber Brew, Grandmaster Imperial SMASH
- Moonraker Brewing, Northern Lites DIPA
- Belching Beaver, Business Hippy DIPA
- Pizza Port Ocean Beach, Double Bagger DIPA * Second Place
- Draught Works Brewing, Resting Mitch Face, American IPA
- Hi Sign Brewing, Super Astronaut Imperial IPA
- Track 7 Brewing, Cryo Thing 1 DIPA * Third Place
- Peticolas Brewing, Sit Down or I’ll Sit You Down IIPA
- Sierra Nevada, Hop Bullet DIPA
Hop & Brew School 2018
Hop and Brew School® is an annual event offering craft brewers the opportunity to personally experience the thrill of hop harvest in Yakima. This exciting two-day event includes presentations on hop usage, recipe formulation, experimental varieties and more. Each class also includes a tour of the hop fields and YCH facilities.
Hop & Brew School® 2018 – Session 1: Commercial Brewers
Tuesday – Wednesday, August 28-29, 2018 at Yakima Chief Hops
Hop and Brew School® 2018 – Session 2: Homebrewers & business partners
Thursday – Friday, August 30-31, 2018 at Yakima Chief Hops
For more information, visit the Session registration pages.
Or, contact Alex Rumbolz via email at [email protected]
Hop & Brew School Presentations – 2018
Past, Present & Future
Key Note Address
Garrett Marrero – Maui Brewing
Hops & Distilling
Grain, Malt & Hops
Tyler Schoales – Great Western Malt
American Noble Hops™
Nick Zeigler & Tommy Yancone
Yakima Chief Ranches & Hop Breeding Company
Jason Perrault & Amy Matthews
Hops at the Heart of the Community